Thursday, June 17, 2004

England v Switzerland

I wouldn't say that I was a fan of football; I don't play it and I don't watch it every Saturday and I certainly don't follow a team. For the big matches like the current UEFA 2004, I felt unmoved by the advertising and the hype, couldn't even name the players (well, apart from Beckham, maybe Scholes, Ferdinand maybe).
However, on Sunday, with the 1st match being against the favourites, France, and my son strongly declaring his interest in watching it on our one and only tv, I succumbed. If I had really cared about the result, how awful I would have felt by such a crushing defeat by a vastly superior team. In fact, I did feel a little hollow. From being 1-0 up in the 1st half of the match, 'our' team spent the rest of the time hysterically defending this fragile lead until reduced to fouling anyone that came close to the England goal, which was depressingly frequent. This madness resulted in the giving away of 2 goals in the dying minutes of the match and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I definitely didn't want to watch any more.
Well, here I am, having just watched England's win over Switzerland. The Swiss team played consistently well and didn't really deserve to be reduced to 10 men in the second half. England showed a few good moments but are still remarkably inconsistent. Not quite as bizarre as against the French. Maybe it's the heat. Why am I beginning to care?

No comments: